This position is responsible for the strategic development and operational implementation of the Fair Trade USA certification system across all programs, including agriculture, seafood, factory and trade. The certification system includes all manuals, policies, procedures and technology used to perform assessments, conduct audits, manage CABs (Compliance Assessment Bodies) and take certification decisions. The Vice President, Certification is the head of the Certification Department, and is responsible for ensuring Fair Trade USA is highly credible in the claims we make about the robustness of our programs. Managing a passionate and talented team of certification professionals this position will deliver efficient, high quality services to all Fair Trade USA customers and producers.
The Vice President, Certification is also the strategic leader in efforts to transform the Fair Trade USA certification system into a best-in-class model positioned to deliver on the ambitious scale and growth objectives of the organization. The innovation of the Fair Trade USA certification system includes the ongoing development and use of remote audit and assessment technology, data analytics and enhanced CAB training and oversight. Moving from a manual system to a tech-enabled, data driven and automated model are also critical components of the future certification system. The Vice President, Certification will drive efficiencies to enable Fair Trade USA to provide a better experience for customers and producers with increased speed and quality.
As a key role in a dynamic and evolving organization, the ideal candidate for the Vice President, Certification will be an innovative, hands-on leader who will strategically assess, develop and implement an innovative certification system now and into the future. We seek an experienced individual and a flexible and creative change enabler with exceptional technology, data, and communication skills.
- Develop strategy, operational plans, and budgets for the Certification Department
- Act as the primary subject matter expert in the digital transformation of the Fair Trade USA certification system
- Supervise the Certification Department staff, and be a strategic, dynamic, and accessible manager, while fostering a positive and results driven environment
- Oversee the strategy, development, implementation and articulation of Fair Trade USA’s certification system
- Develop and drive successful delivery of department OKRs, including metrics assessing service quality, efficiency and cost to serve
- Partner with other leaders in the organization to ensure calibration and alignment on the interpretation and implementation of the Fair Trade Standards
- Maintain relationships with senior leaders at CABs to ensure the high-quality implementation of the Fair Trade program
- Partner with other leaders in the organization to ensure the Certification team and system supports our ambitious business growth objectives and key account needs
- Build relationships to monitor best practices and future trends in certification and incorporate knowledge into practices
- Participate in sector events, representing FTUSA externally as a social and environmental certification thought leader
- Support the Business Development teams with key account management, working to ensure we meet our revenue and growth targets
- Partner strategically with internal departments to effectively communicate the assurance model externally, including strategic and tactical support for fundraising
Skills, Experience, & Knowledge
- 12+ years of experience in the fields of corporate social responsibility, supply chain environmental management or social compliance
- Multiple years’ experience working in certification, ideally with a focus social, economic or environmental programs
- Demonstrated track record in developing systems to enable scale across multiple products and regions
- Experience in designing and implementing innovative assurance models that meet evolving customer and market needs
- A strategic thinker with the ability to engage in whole of business strategies and operations
- Strong leader and communicator with track record of building relationships and instilling confidence in senior management, the organization and with external stakeholders
- Strong track record of managing and developing team members
- A strong aptitude for the foundations of business, and experience of working in a high growth environment
- High integrity, sound judgment, comfort with ambiguity, and the ability to lead in a changing environment
- Auditor management and training, and interpretation of social and environmental standards desirable, preferably in an international context
- A positive can-do attitude, and the ability to deliver under pressure
- Passion for Fair Trade USA’s mission, vision, and values
Technology & Software
- Technologically competent, with experience using leading certification and auditing software, as well as CRM systems
- Experience with blockchain supply chain traceability software solutions (desirable)
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and online communication tools required, experience with other technology platforms (e.g. Salesforce) a plus
Education & Training
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Auditor accreditation or certificate in assurance mechanisms such as ISO, SA8000, APSCA is preferred
This position can work out of the Bay Area (Oakland) or Remote U.S.
Please submit both a resume and a cover letter.