The Agriculture Certification Manager is responsible for Fair Trade USA’s agriculture certification process. This includes successfully operating, developing and implementing tools, methodologies and strategies to optimize an accessible, efficient and credible assurance program with our agriculture partners and Conformity Assessment Bodies (CABs). The ideal candidate for this position has experience in sustainability, auditing or assurance, understands global supply chains, is curious, dynamic and passionate about our mission.
The Fair Trade USA Certification Department develops, implements, and continuously improves a transparent and credible assurance model that instills confidence and is easily understood by all stakeholders. We ensure compliance with Fair Trade USA Standards and claims throughout each product’s chain of custody.
This individual will work within a team that manages certification of partners at origin (Applicants and Certificate Holders) and reports to the Certification Director. This position also works in collaboration with counterparts in Producer Services, Standards, Program Operations, Data and Tech teams to align programs and activities.
- Manage assurance process for the agriculture program globally, providing guidance and ensuring adherence to certification requirements.
- Manage relationships with CABs, tracking the audit process of applicants and certificate holders, monitoring audit timelines, reports and corrective action plans administered by the CABs for clients in their certification process.
- Monitor quality issues including but not limited to compliance criteria interpretation, verification processes, expected response and auditing timeframes, etc. and contribute to calibration activities, auditor training and oversight.
- Provide certification case support in coordination with other departments as needed, including but not limited to Temporary Authorization to Trade, Change of CAB requests, complaints/allegation cases and other incident management.
- Develop and update certification policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with the ISEAL Assurance Code. This includes implementing internal audits, risk assessment, internal corrective actions and assurance program risk mitigation strategies.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of new sector pilot programs (e.g. aquaculture, dairy) and innovations to the assurance model.
- Work effectively as a team member, supporting peers and providing insights and solutions to help improve external customer services and maintaining internal procedures and records to ensure program execution accuracy.
Skills, Experience, & Knowledge
- Experience working with social and environmental standards, certification, agriculture, seafood, manufacturing and/or global supply chains.
- Experience collecting, reconciling, and analyzing data and reports is preferred.
- Strong project management skills and familiarity with project management tools, with demonstrated ability to manage projects of diverse sizes, set realistic goals and objectives, and balance multiple priorities.
- Track record of exceptional relationship management and customer service, supported by excellent written technical and verbal communication skills in English. The ability to communicate in other languages is a plus (e.g. Spanish, French, Portuguese, Mandarin, etc.).
- Must be able to prioritize work effectively, problem solve and handle detail-oriented projects in a systematic, methodical and highly organized manner both as part of a team and as a project leader.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, adaptable and able to multi-task in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
- Technical background in fisheries management, agriculture and/or related areas preferred.
- Strong work ethic and likes to have fun on the job.
- A passion for Fair Trade USA’s mission, vision, and accomplishments.
Education & Training
- A minimum of 4 years of related prior work experience in certification, verification, auditing, auditor training, or quality management systems and a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
Technology & Software
- High proficiency in MS Office applications including Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Previous experience with CRM applications (e.g. Salesforce), databases and Tableau a plus.
- Generous Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Generous Dependent Medical and Dental Coverage
- 401k Investment Plan with match
- Life Insurance and Long Term Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Vacation Time (11 days during year 1, increases over time)
- Sick Leave (9 days per year)
- Sabbatical Leave (one 6 week paid leave after 7 years of continuous employment)
- Holidays (10 company paid holidays, 2 floating personal paid holidays, plus a paid winter break from Dec. 26 – 31)
This position can work out of the Bay Area (Oakland) or Remote U.S.
Please submit both a resume and a cover letter.
We are a Proud Equal Opportunity Employer
The fair trade model is firmly rooted in themes of empowerment, advocacy, and disrupting oppressive dynamics, and as such, Fair Trade USA actively strives to embody the values of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in our day-to-day work. As an employer, we have zero tolerance for discrimination or harassment of any type. We value and promote a work environment that is inclusive, diverse, and bound by the following principles:
- We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees.
- We proudly provide employees with a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment.
- All employment decisions at Fair Trade are based on the needs of our organization, the requirements of the job, and individual qualifications - period.
- We prohibit work-related actions, policies, and decisions based on race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other protected status, and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
- We believe that a healthy and holistic work community is comprised of people of all ages, and therefore we welcome individuals of all stages in life to apply for our job openings.
Please be sure to add email@example.com to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.